Saturday, October 13, 2012

Teamwork: Week Six

One group in which I felt a sense of satisfaction was also one that was difficult to leave. We worked together for five years. As I reflect back on the happenings, I am able to discern “The Five Stages of Team Development” as described by Gina Abudi (2010).

Throughout that period of time, this group of six women became each other’s advocates and supporters in an important work of assisting child care providers. Sometimes, it felt as if we were sisters in a benevolent cause. We became each other’s backer in personal aspects as well as teamwork aspects.

I have sometimes pondered the idea that if there would have been men in our group; would we have become as close as we did? What does anyone think about that?

When it was time for a few of us to move on, we did celebrate, and wished each other well, but there was a sense of sadness despite the well wishes. It has been a few years since the close of that group, but there are three of us who keep in contact amid living in different states. We always say we are going to get together, but because lives seem hectic with work, family, and other commitments, we have thus far faltered. However, we have not given up on having a reunion. I feel that it will happen some day in the not too far future.

Adjourning is essential to defining success or figuring out what could have been better. Either outcome merits celebration because of effort and I believe even amid any ineffectiveness there has to be some positives. My mother always said, “There is always something good in everything that happens”.

Closing rituals I have engaged in and enjoyed the most include dinner with discussions such as Sandra did in Gina Abudi’s (2010) account of one team’s effort. I have been in groups that did not have closure, and they are those that leave me open to wishing there would have been a more operative conclusion. Being able to have a ceremonial finale gives resolution to each participant and opens the door for better things to come.

I imagine that after we have all completed our work at Walden, we will celebrate our success and wish each other well. It would be awesome if we could meet each other in person. Seeing and giving each other a hug would be the icing on the cake.


Reference:

Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally,
I agree with you some of us have started with each other since our BA.I would love to be able to stay in touch.I think that our blogs and discussions have been a big part of working in a group.We have shown respect for each other and we have learned many interesting things that we will take with us.Again I always enjoy reading your blog.

Tamieka said...

Hello Sally

I wish we could meet each other person to person, but I guess with our own family and job obligations that is why we do online learning. But after being with people for almost two years its hard not to bond with people about issues in our personal and professional lives. I really have enjoyed the insighths and experiences that you have shared with your colleagues. I wish you al the success in your life and may only the best adventures be graced upon you and your career!